Flower crowns have been all the rage lately. They're the perfect summer accessory to add to a pretty sundress for a festival, trip to the farmer's market, wedding, or just a day out with friends! Flower crowns found at retailers can be very pricey and frankly, not as cute as flower crowns using real flowers. Plus, when you make your own flower crown you can be creative with it and save money!
Here's what you'll need to make these gorgeous baby's breath crowns.
- floral tape
- floral wire
- wire cutters
- two bundles of baby's breath
We love the delicate look of baby's breath, but feel free to choose whichever flowers/greenery you like! You can use fake flowers too!
1. First, you will need to make the base of the crown out of floral wire. Decide how you want the crown to sit on your head, then measure this area with the floral wire. For a sturdier base, wrap the floral wire a few times and kind of wrap and bend it all together.
2. Next, cut sprigs of the baby's breath with about a two inch stem. This way you will be able to attach it to the wire crown easier.
3. You will also need to cut a bunch of two inch strips of floral tape. These will be used to attach the sprigs to the crown.
4. Once you have your wire base, sprigs and tape pieces cut, you're ready for assembly! Place a sprig stem on the crown and then wrap a strip of floral tape around the stem and wire base. Floral tape gets sticky when you stretch it, so you will need to pull on it a little as you're wrapping them together.
5. Keep adding springs to your crown, until you get your desired look. For a fuller look, use more springs and use less sprigs for a more whimsical look. We decided to go with a fuller crown, which used almost two bunches of baby's breath.
We came up with another way to use the flower crown when you're done wearing it- a wreath! Just add a pretty bow and hang it on your front door. Look how cute this is!
Now, you have your own unique flower crown (and wreath)! Have fun making these and let us know how they turn out!